Holiday property investment in Andalusia: what do you need to rent your apartment out

Holiday property investment in Andalusia

If you are planning to invest in a property in Andalusia, I’m sure you will have tons of questions regarding what documents or steps you have to take in order to get your apartment ready in this highly profitable area. 

In Solaga, we help people from all over the world to get their homes ready for rental rent and we advise them during all the procedures.

Thinking about buying property in Andalusia to rent it out as a holiday home? In this article you will find what you need to do once you have your apartment ready to rent it out!

Register a holiday home in Andalusia

Junta de Andalusia (Andalusia government), since 2016, has had certain requirements that all the vocational apartments should fulfill in order to get the proper license. This is due to the fact that there has been a significant increase in these types of properties in the last few years, and, therefore, the need to regulate them. 

In fact, according to the, there are in Andalusia more than 80,000 properties that have a holiday home license.

What do we understand as Holiday Home? Vacational apartment definition

We can define Holiday Homes (it has the Spanish abbreviation VFT (Vivienda con Fines Turísticos - Property with Touristic Purposes) as a property that is rented out for a short period of time, regularly and when this property is advertised on touristic offer channels. 

What documents do I need?

To start the activity of renting your flat as a holiday home, you have to fulfill and present an affidavit where you declare that you have all the requirements for pursuing the activity in question. For doing this, you have to have a digital certificate (that you can get from the public institution of La Fábrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre

Apartments with no affidavit will be sanctioned with a fine of 2,001 to 18,000 euros, as it’s considered a clandestine realization or provision of tourist service.

Next to the affidavit document, you will need to present: 

  • Copy the occupation license. 
  • Title for the use of the property (deed of ownership, contract of transfer of use for holiday rental purposes…)
  • Copy of IBI (Property Tax)

The declaration of the affidavit will allow you to carry out the activity for an indefinite period of time, from the day of its presentation.

Register as property owner in the 'Registro de Turismo de Anducía'

Once you have presented the affidavit, the territorial delegation, where your apartment is located, will add your property to the ‘Register of Tourism of Andalusia’, and you will receive a document that proves this. 

You will get a code similar to this: 


  • VFT indicates that it is a property for tourist purposes.
  • MA corresponds to the first two letters of the province where the house is located (MA - Malaga)
  • 00000 is the number of your property

Register your holiday property with the Spanish National Police or Guardia Civil

The property manager, or owner, must identify all the guests over 16 years old, fulfill a hospitality document, have a guest registration book and communicate the guests’ check-in to the National Police within 24 hours of arrival. 

To register your holiday home you have to make an appointment with the National Police office in the city your apartment is located and present these documents:

  • DNI or passport
  • Copy of the affidavit document you already have
  • IBI receipts (where it shows the name of the property owner)

Do you need help?

In Solaga we are holiday property managers and we have been more than fifteen years helping owners to prepare their flats for rent them out. We are familiar with all the requirements that the Junta de Andalucía has in order to legalize an apartment for vacation rental purposes. 

If you are looking at investing in Andalusia or you own an apartment and you’re thinking about renting it out for touristic purposes, you can contact us and we will look forward to talking to you without any obligation on your part. 

Malaga Office
Calle Cortina del Muelle 3, 2B
29015 Malaga
Nerja Office
Calle Prol. Hernando de
Carabeo 2 29780 Nerja
Subscription Form
7 days a week, 9am - 5:30pm
© Solaga Holidays SL 2023
Review Widget